Monday, January 29, 2007

"I am from..." writing contest

The post below was written for a writing contest hosted by Mary from Owlhaven. Check out the other entries and try it yourself! While I wrote my piece, I laughed and cried and remembered so much about my blessed childhood. Contest aside, this was a very worthwhile excercise that left me so thankful for all God has done for me.

It does our hearts much good to stop and remember and give thanks. We take the counsel, given to the Israelites and recorded in Deuteronomy 32:7, as our own, "Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, your elders, and they will tell you."

Remembering is important because we must not forget the goodness and kindness of God toward us. In our remembering our faith is strengthened. We see what God has already done for us and in us and we anticipate what he will also do in the future.

As we remember and look back, we then look forward to the grace we know to be coming in the future. This serves to quell our fears of the unknown and to give us strength for obedience, no matter how difficult the task may seem.

No comments: