Sunday, September 30, 2007

Surviving

One day I'll write a post that doesn't revolve around life with a newborn, but for now my life is consumed with day to day mothering and just keeping up. Scott calls this 'survival'. I'm thankful for a husband with this kind of attitude.

Yesterday, I slept until 8:30 (Scott would bring Caroline to me to eat, and then I'd go back to sleep...). When I finally got up, I commented on how late I slept and that I didn't mean to let so much time pass with me still in the bed. He immediately told me, "You've got to give that up... right now, it's survival."

Today, when I commented that I shouldn't be as tired as I am, he again gave grace when he reminded me that I work third shift right now, and when you work third shift, you are always tired, no matter how late you sleep. (Sounds like being a seminary student as well.)

Of course, we don't want to live our entire lives just surviving. But when you find yourself in a particularly busy or difficult time, you might have to simply survive, just doing the best you can each day and relying more and more on God's grace to get you through. I have a husband who is constantly reminding me of that, and I couldn't be more thankful for living with that kind of grace.

No comments: