Monday, October 16, 2006

Precious words, precious truth

Yesterday we had a great morning at church. Before the service started, Josh tugged my arm and pointed at the wooden cross that is built into the front of the church right above where the choir sits. He said, "Look Mom. The Cross. For our sins."

My heart soared! Yes, the cross, where Christ gave himself as a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28). Yes, the cross where God demonstrated his love for us while we were still sinners (Romans 5:8). Yes, the cross where God reconciled us to himself (Colossians 1:20).

Any my heart soared that my three year old is beginning to understand that the gospel is for him. Oh how I pray that God, in his mercy, will save my children while they are still young.

Later during the service, we sang the following song, which so beautifully grasps the wonder of the grace and love of God toward us, his former enemies (Colossians 1:22):

How Deep The Father's Love For Us
by Stuart Townend

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments: