Thursday, October 12, 2006

What's for dinner

Here's whats cooking at our house:
I've been trying to cut dinner costs lately and we've been really enjoying fresh produce from the farmer's market, so soup has been on the menu more often. For dinner tonight, the menu will be chicken noodle soup, homemade rye bread (from the farmer's market, not my kitchen!), and salad.

Here is the recipe for the soup. I have never measured the ingredients before, so I am estimating on some of them. Each item can be increased or decreased depending on your taste. Also, I often make homemade stock at the beginning by boiling the bones and skin of the chicken breasts with the vegetables. Remove the bones and skins after about twenty minutes and proceed.

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
6-8 C of water
2 celery stalks
2 medium sized carrots
1/2 red onion
two split chicken breasts, boned and chopped
2 good handfulls of egg noodles
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried sage
salt and pepper to taste

Chop vegetables (I use my food processor), boil in water until soft. Add chicken, thyme and sage. Simmer for thirty minutes.

I like the noodles firm, so I do not add them until about fifteen minutes before serving. At this point I might put the 'soup' in the fridge or continue to simmer it on low until dinner is almost finished. After the noodles are cooked, you can add more water to make it soupier if you like. This is really the most simple recipe- I add and play around until it is just how we like it.

No comments: